~ A Darkly Elegant Theme
Dorian has many of its own unique characteristics. To name a couple, hovered buttons grow in size, and insensitive buttons/widgets have a diagonal pattern distinguishing them from normal or active states.
Dorian's appearance is consistent between Gtk2 and Gtk3. Gtk2 uses the pixmap-engine** to resemble Gtk3 as closely as possible.Icons - Clarity-canus, Wallpaper(Inset) - Black(20) by no-credit, Wallpaper(Outset) - DeLoreanWall by killhellokittyIncludes:
- Gtk2 Theme
- Gtk3 Theme
- Metacity Themes - Basic and Retro: Left and Right
- Openbox Themes - Default(retro-box) and Dorian-Neon *NEW*
- Ubuntu Software-Center Theme
- Chromium Browser Themes - Dorian and Dorian-Simple
- Firefox Browser Theme
- More to come...
- Gtk3.6* works with Gtk3.8(with a few very minor image irregularities to be fixed soon)
- gtk-engine-murrine-0.98.1.1(or newer)
- pixbuf-engine or the gtk(2)-engines package***
- gnome-themes-standard-3.6 *(provides the 'adwaita' engine)
- !important! Gtk-2.24.14 or lower must be installed! A bug in Gtk-2.24.15 & Gtk-2.24.16 breaks the entry widgets.(Bugzilla-Bug 695003) Arch Linux users should downgrade from the current version.
Ubuntu Software-Center Theme Installation:
- Ubuntu, Linux Mint, & Ubuntu derivatives:12.10 Quantal, 13.04 Raring, and 13.10 Saucy
Add this PPA,
copy and paste the following in a terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:killhellokitty/themes.ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install dorian-theme
- Arch Linux
Install from AUR
yaourt -S dorian-theme
- ALL other distributionsshould download Dorian-Theme from the top of this page. Unzip the archive, and copy the following three folders; dorian-theme, dorian-retro-left-metacity and dorian-retro-right-metacity to /usr/share/themes/ *This theme can not be installed in ~/.themes. It will not work properly when installed within this directory!
Xfce & LXDE Panel Installation:
- Backup the original folder and name it "software-center.backup":
sudo cp /usr/share/software-center /usr/share/software-center.backup
- Install the Dorian software-center theme (This assumes the Dorian-Theme is installed to the recomended location 'usr/share/themes/'):
sudo cp /usr/share/themes/dorian-theme/ubuntu-software-center/softwarecenter.css /usr/share/software-center/ui/gtk3/css/softwarecenter.css && sudo cp /usr/share/themes/dorian-theme/ubuntu-software-center/stipple.png /usr/share/software-center/ui/gtk3/art/stipple.png
- Start/Restart the Ubuntu Software-Center.
- To revert the changes:
sudo rm -r /usr/share/software-center && mv /usr/share/software-center.backup /usr/share/software-center
Chromium Browser Theme Installation:
- The panel image file is located at:
Firefox Browser Theme Installation:
- The theme file(.crx) is located at:
- Open Chromium browser, go the the menu and scroll down to Tools. In the sub-menu select Extensions.
- Drag and Drop the Dorian.crx file onto the Extensions Page.
- This entire theme is build using the UserChrome.css and UserContent.css.
It is located in the 'chrome' folder within:
- *If you previously made changes to either your userChrome.css or userContent.css, back theme up now.
- Copy the 'chrome' folder (containing the userChrome, userContent, and images folder) into your Firefox User Profile: '~/.mozilla/firefox/userprofile/chrome/'
*** Where 'userprofile' is XsomeNumbers.default folder.
<li>Alternately Create a new User-Profile specifically for the Dorian-Theme.
To open the Profile-Manager for Firefox:
*Important: Before you can start the Profile Manager, Firefox must be completely closed.
In Terminal or using Alt/F2 (run-dialog) type: firefox -P
More information on creating and utilizing User-Profiles in Firefox may be found Here</li>
02-15-2013 The first publishing of the completed(not finished) theme (gtk2 & gtk3).
02-16-2013 Ubuntu Software-Center theme added. Text shadow in gtk2 fixed.
02-19-2013 Metacity 2 & 3 themes added.
02-26-2013 Metacity added a second theme: Retro(left and right).
02-27-2013 Metacity, fixed bugs in Retro theme.
03-08-2013 Xfce/LXDE Panel themed.
03-24-2013 Selected Entry Text changed to white. Chromium Theme added.
04-06-2013 Firefox-Theme added to package.
04-24-2013 Scrollbar and Scroll-Sliders reworked to be clearly visible. Chromium, second theme added.
07-12-2013 Openbox Themes added, a default(retro-box) and neon.
09-03-2013 Firefox Theme fixed issue with gray bar displaying across web-pages, ie: youtube
Share your thoughts, ideas, and bugs/bug-fixes.
Your feedback is important!
*gtk3.6 is required for gtk3 applications(Gnome3 apps). If using Gnome, the corresponding version is necessary (Gnome3.6).
**gtk2 is entirely drawn with pixmaps-engine using image files, in this case predominately vector. Pixmap-engine is know to draw windows slower than other(murrine,clearlooks,etc...) engines; therefore the gtk2 portion of this theme renders in roughly twice the time as other non-pixmap-engine themes. This is not a problem or concern, Dorian's gtk2 draws its windows very fast, just not as fast as other theme engines.
***gtk2 is drawn with vector graphics(svg). Most distributions include libsvg(or equivalent) by default.